- “It my exciting hope that this Center which bears my name will have as its primary goals: first, a gathering of knowledge of Florida’s most pressing needs; secondly, bringing those needs into clear focus; and thirdly assisting in the development of effective ways and means for meeting them for the good of all our citizens.”
- The Collins Center is established as a statewide nonpartisan group by Gov. LeRoy Collins.
- Campaign Ethics: Collins Center partners with leaders from government, the private sector and academia in convening the Government and Ethics Working Group and holds its first conference on ethics.
- Education: Developed partnerships to establish Our Children’s Future and the Commission on Science and Technology.
- Public Safety: Designed and conducted a series of research projects on Florida’s criminal justice and corrections system.
- Black Tourism Boycott: Established a group of civic and corporate leaders under the Miami Partners for Progress project and resolved an African American boycott of the South Florida tourist industry.
- Hurricane Insurance: Served as staff for the Task Force on Hurricane Catastrophe Insurance following the devastating effects of Hurricane Andrew.
- The Role of Government: Led the Legislature Project, a nonpartisan examination of Florida’s representative form of government.
- Citizen Participation in Government: Conducted a statewide public information campaign on Florida’s Constitution Revision process. Served to heighten public interest and understanding of the process.
- Dispute Resolution: Ramped up Alternative Dispute Resolution program handling national class action lawsuit against insurance companies conducting deceptive sales practices.
- Regional Cooperation: Through the South Florida Initiative, established the concept of Regionalism — developing regional collaboration among local governments, civic, business and community organizations to better address economic, social and environmental challenges.
- Civic Education: Developed and implemented the Collins Legislature Classroom, a civic education course on the role of the Florida legislature for Florida high schools.
- Small Business Lending: Held one of the nation’s first statewide MicroLending Conferences to discuss improving financial opportunities for small, minority and women business owners.
- Land, Art and Artifacts: Nautilus Center, a 400 acre property located in Lloyd, Florida, and a large collection of valuable art and books bequeathed to Collins Center for the purpose of establishing a conference and meeting facility.
- Inner City Redevelopment: Established The Growth Partnership to revitalize low-income and inner-city areas by attracting new jobs, and improving housing and the availability of needed services.
- School Choice: Co-sponsored a statewide public opinion survey on the issue of school choice.
- Philanthropic Funding: Established The Funders Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities to strengthen philanthropic leadership and funders’ abilities to support organizations working to create better economies, build livable communities and protect and preserve natural resources.
- Equity in Education: Provided staff assistance to Governor’s Task Force established to determine whether disparities of financial and intangible support exist among public schools.
- Elections Reform: Managed Governor’s Task Force on Election Procedures, Standards and Technology following controversial 2000 Presidential Election.
- Global Trade: Established Inter-American Forum to convene key decision-makers from South Florida, the Caribbean, Central America and South America to ensure development in the region is economically sound, socially equitable and environmentally sensitive.
- Lemon Law: Expanded Alternative Dispute Resolution program to manage Florida’s Recreational Vehicle Lemon Law program.
- Election Reform: Held national conference on election reform bringing together election experts from around the country.
- Education Scholarships: Conducted analysis of Florida’s Corporate Tax Credit Scholarship program and its impact on public school spending.
- Restoring Communities: Opened Overtown Center Partnership and Design Center to work with community groups on revitalizing the area.
- Health Care for the Uninsured: Community Voices Miami, established to improve access to health care for uninsured and underserved people and train Community Health workers, joins Collins Center.
- Elections Reform: Drafted Florida’s Help America Vote Act plan to ensure receipt of federal funding for election activities including new voting technology, voter and election official education programs and a statewide voter registration system.
- Restoring Communities: Established the Smart Growth Land Trust to help guide new development in the Overtown community.
- Hurricane Rebuilding: Established Hurricane Mediation Program for the State of Florida to handle disputes between homeowners and insurance companies.
- Smart Growth: Becomes partner in the launch of South Florida Regional Resource Center to educate neighborhood, city, county, and civic organizations about the importance of collaboration to achieve regional objectives with local importance.
- Florida’s Future: Council for Sustainable Florida, committed to the balance of Florida’s economic interests with social and environmental responsibility, joins Collins Center.
- Economic Analysis: Conducted analysis of the Florida Qualified Target Industry Tax Refund Program for the State of Florida.
- Strategic Planning: Facilitated strategic planning meeting and drafted plan outlining legislative goals for the Florida Biomedical Advisory Council.
Pre-file Foreclosure Mediation:Expanded the foreclosure mediation program to offer mediation services before the dispute ever reaches the courthouse.