About the Collins Center
The Collins Center for Public Policy identifies, researches, frames and implements nonpartisan, creative and meaningful solutions to the toughest issues facing Florida and elsewhere.
Considered one of Florida’s greatest governors, LeRoy Collins steered the state through the turbulent civil rights era and set the state on a path of acceptance. He championed the environment, started the community college system and expanded health care. In 1988, after retiring to Tallahassee, Collins and a group of distinguished Floridians started the Collins Center for Public Policy to seek out creative, nonpartisan solutions to Florida’s toughest issues. It began on the campus of Florida State University, but within a few years moved from the campus to establish an identity separate from the university. Today, it has offices across the state and two decades of work that reflect the governor’s desire for objective analysis and his vision for a better Florida.
The Collins Center focuses on solutions that improve state policy and change the lives of Floridians for the better. Since 1988:
- We have heard Floridians speak with great passion about their voting rights and the importance of knowing that their vote counts.
- We have seen the looks of relief on the faces of homeowners when they reach a settlement with their insurance company after a hurricane.
- We have received heart-felt thank you letters from people who received much needed medical attention through the efforts of our community health workers.
- We have established a mortgage mediation program to help resolve disputes between homeowners and their mortgage lenders.
- We have helped voters make informed decisions about proposed amendments to the state’s constitution.
From mortgage foreclosure mediation work, to election reform, to analyzing the impacts of lifting the drilling moratorium in the Gulf of Mexico, the Collins Center often finds itself at the center of the state’s most pressing issues. Read a complete list.
990 Forms and Financial Background
Collins Center President’s Audit Report 2012
Collins Center Audited Financial Statement June 2011
Collins Center Financial Statement June 2010
Collins Center June 2009 Audit
Collins Center June 2008 Audit